There is likely no one among us who enjoys working with their insurance company. At times, it’s necessary, though. After a serious disaster in or around your home, when your family is reeling and your property is damaged, insurance can come in handy. First, you need to file a claim. If you want to schedule the proper repairs and restoration work, you’ll need that money from the insurance company to make payments.
Here at Restoration 1 of Mohave County, we have extensive experience dealing with insurance companies. We can help you file your homeowners insurance claim for property damage, and we’ll even work with the insurance adjuster when they arrive.
How to File an Insurance Claim
Whether your home was devastated in a recent storm, flooded by a burst pipe, or a terrible fire ripped through the premises, you’ll need to file an insurance claim. We know it’s the last thing on your mind. However, it is very necessary. Here’s how to file a property damage insurance claim:
- Document Everything – The insurance company is going to want proof of any damage reported. They won’t just take you at your word, especially if you start mitigating damage, so take pictures and videos, and write down notes on the damage.
- Mitigation – It’s important not to complete any permanent repairs. The insurance company will not pay for already-completed repairs around the home. You can, however, mitigate damage. Mitigation includes removing standing water, tarping the roof, and pulling your furniture out of the affected area.
- Call Your Insurance – Now, it’s time to call the insurance company. You likely have an agent tied to your account; give them a call. You need to explain the situation and tell them of all the damages. They’ll send an insurance adjuster shortly.
- Find a Restoration Company – Once you’ve spoken with the insurance company, call your local restoration company. Their services will be invaluable in the coming days. They will work with your insurance company and the adjuster to make your life easier.
What Not to Do
What not to do can be just as confusing as what to do during a property damage ordeal.
- Do not throw any items away.
- Do not wait too long to call the insurance company.
- Do not delay when completing the claims forms.
- Do not remain uninformed about your homeowners insurance policy.
Once you’ve notified the insurance company, make sure you take a moment to call Restoration 1 of Mohave County. We’ll dispatch a team within an hour of your call.